Season 3 Episode 7 (9/30): A Moment in Mecca

Season 3 Episode 7 (9/30): A Moment in Mecca –

9/30 Seaside, OR to Tillamook, OR. 50 miles 2799’ climb.

It was 44 degrees when we set out at 7:41AM. A new low temp for us, but today the cold start didn’t bother me as we had sun forecasted at last, and a 3PM date with destiny!

I’m not sure this pic captures the peaceful beauty of fog rising from a dewy field as the sun appears.

An hour later we rode by Haystack Rock, an iconic landmark off of Cannon Beach.

We soon came to the first of the Oregon tunnels we’d been warned about. There is no shoulder.

The sign says “Bikes in Tunnel When Lights Flash. Speed 30 mph.” There is a button on a pole to the right for cyclists to press before you enter. That is if you know about it and see it!  And 30 is still too fast for my liking.

The much anticipated coastal beauty did not disappoint.

We have passed many such signs that make us wonder do we really have to be concerned with this, too.

In this year’s “Welcome back for season 3” opening blog, I noted I’m not sure I could continue my sugary ways. This was a reference to the many ice creams and milkshakes (and pecan pie, doughnuts, baklava, cake…) that I consumed and wrote fervently about the past 2 years. One friend teased me that I have a food blog disguised as a biking blog. Many readers wished us well this year with comments like looking forward to reading about my milkshakes. Last fall, after all that riding, I “failed” my physical. I had a very high blood sugar count.

That motivated me to try a sugar detox program last January. I want to publicly thank Jen Dorf and Jean Marie Stein of “See Ya, Sugar” for helping me to better understand my addiction to sugar and effecting lasting change. Mind you to date, we haven’t eaten any ice cream or shakes not because of their program and change, but because it has been too cold! But I have been far less dependent on cake, cookies and pastry to “reward” myself with a dopamine hit after a difficult ride.

Now with that said and not to detract from it, on to my date with destiny. We were in Tillamook, home of the famous Tillamook Creamery that originated from a farmers co-op. I first learned of and enjoyed Tillamook ice cream from our warm showers host Dan in Las Cruces, NM in 2021.

After all, when one is in Mecca, one makes pilgrimage (or something to that effect). We took part in an exclusive, honorary Tillamook taste bud ice cream experience! Could there be a more tailored experience for me
In addition to learning about their ice cream manufacturing processes, we sampled. It began with an ice cream sandwich appetizer.

Though it was much more than just eating. We took the tests that they use to hire their quality control tasters. They kiddingly called it our interview if we wanted to apply as they are hiring.

In the first test, the bitter paper test, I learned I am one of the 25% of people called a “dominant super taster”. I can detect tastes 75% of people cannot detect. I felt validated for my years of moaning while eating and delivering food critiques. Most people just can’t taste what I’m experiencing. Clearly, I’ve got qualifications. (Heather is not in this 25%)

The second test was to arrange 5 samples by their sweetness strength from 0-4 of the presence of a cherry sports drink flavor.

We both scored perfectly. I’m now almost hired!

It was really cool to see how they slice open a carton with a double handed cheese knife and cut it up to inspect it for quality. 10% gets rejected and given to employees to enjoy.

Fun fact: Every product passes through metal detectors as a safety check to make sure no assembly line loose screws or parts fall in your dairy.

Pro tip: Store your ice cream cartons upside down in your freezer so the ice crystals form on the bottom not at the top where you scoop from - or skim from if you’re one of many who do so.

We sampled (er, inspected) 4 flavors: 1 Marianberry pie, 2 Peaches and cream, 3 Camp fire peanut butter cup, 4 Mudslide.

It was a hard call between Peaches and Cream or Mudslide for a fave. I’m normally more pro vanilla based, but the rich chocolate of mudslide was next level. Call it a draw or further sampling is needed! And Jen and Jean Marie, if you’re reading, don’t worry, I’m still in control!


© Copyright Mark Segal 2023.

Comments

  1. I'm very impressed. What good taste you have, Mark!! Perfect job for you, glad you passed the taste test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a "sweet" blog post! My first thought when I saw Tillamook was that I hope you got a treat! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peaches and Cream for you and Peachy!!😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Season 3 Episode 1 (9/18-9/19): May These Gates Never Be Closed!

Season 3 Episode 20 End of Adventure Reflections. And Green Bananas!