DAY 1: 9/20 San Diego to Pine Valley, CA

DAY 1: 9/20/21 San Diego to Pine Valley, CA. 60 miles, 6,233’ elevation gain total to a max elevation of 4,013’, top temperature 88 –

Today was Dickens-like as the best of times and the worst of times. Or put another way, our friend Gail wished me well when we said goodbye last Thursday night with “It sounds miserable but have fun.”  We laughed aloud as it was really funny. I had no clue then how immediate it would ring true as there were times today I felt miserable and at the same time had a blast. 

The first 5 minutes of the ride was pleasant enough next to Mission Bay but that calming scenery quickly gave way to concrete and the challenge to get out of such a large city. It didn’t help that each of our Garmin bike computers gave different directions and Google Maps gave yet a third. So we debated (maybe “debated” is a euphemism) multiple times which route to follow. Funny how after 30+ years as a couple, this debate even continues when we both agree and often resolve that while both of us are “excellent” at directions, one of us is “more excellent” than the other.😀

After a while we left the city behind and rode Father Junipero Sierra Trail through a canyon in Mission Trails regional Park that was scenic, mellow and was a taste of the desert ahead. Here we met Jack from Connecticut, out first fellow Southern Tier rider. He’s riding solo for 7-8 weeks with a van supported by Will. Our schedules are off a bit but we hope to meet up one night if in same city. I joked with them good to know we have you as a “plan b” in case we need support. Hmmm?

The big decision in planning of day one for eastbound riders is do you go to Alpine or push the extra 20 miles plus a few thousand feet of climb to Pine Valley. I’d read blogs and it seemed 50/50.  Since we felt Alpine was too short a day we had reserved a motel in Pine Valley. In retrospect a questionable call. Maybe Kevin was right with “take it slow, you can’t win it on day one, but you can lose it”. Sage advice for next time!

While I have cycled over 6,000’ vertical climb in a day in high-desert heat (almost two years ago in Northern Israel) that was on a lightweight carbon Bianchi road rental that weighed about 15 pounds carrying just 2 water bottles. My aluminum bike is 21 lbs plus 25 lbs of load. Heather’s steel frame weighs in even heavier at 31lbs before adding her 25 lbs load. We were now in uncharted territory. 

The heat, altitude, climbing mostly occurring in the last 20 miles, weight of bike and load, some jet lag so sleep messed up, all mixed and left me dehydrated. It was after Alpine at about 1600’ elevation and I knew we needed to get to about 3,600’ end of day that I to use a runner’s expression “hit the wall” it got so bad I could bike only about 50 feet of climb before needing to rest. I did that about 5 times. Each rest seeking any shade possible where in some instances almost none existed. I would crouch low next to a bush to try for any reprieve in its shadow.

Desperate for shade

At this point I was close to questioning this whole endeavor and wondering if I’d need an IV or how bad was it? Since Heather was up ahead of me, I did what any responsible adult would do with years of travel risk management, I pushed on. Bike short distance. Sit in shade  Repeat. I started to get a bit more distance each time and was doing over 100’ at a time so was now about 2300’ vertical. When I wrote that I’d be thinking of Lenny and Ernie as inspiration when I was struggling through a desert or up mountains, I hadn’t realized how true that would ring on day one. Quitting was never an option. Thanks guys for getting me through a low point. 

At this point Heather ahead of me was waiting and when I finally appeared said she was never so happy to see me. Point noted for future what it takes to elicit that statement. She also forced me to drink a ton which is not easy when the water is so warm.  

For the rest of the ride I did have to rest far more than normal and even though I was having minor cramping in my quads, I was definitely gaining strength. Heather seeing I was really ok, rode up ahead to the hotel. 

Through this ordeal I was marveling at how strong Heather was and the factors affecting me seemed to not affect her. When I walked into our room, she asked if I felt depleted as she felt just like she did finishing an Ironman. She said it was the hardest bike ride of her life. And she said I feel like I need an IV. It brought me a measure of comfort to know my iron wife felt the same. 

Surprisingly that night I got stronger from drinking and eating and she ended up being more depleted. It would be interesting to see what residual affect this has on us tomorrow?

The thrill of pushing a physical limit athletically and completing that day’s challenge was an incredibly satisfying feeling for both of us. 

But the real high of the day (that “best of times”) was the random acts of kindness from strangers:

Firstly was Bruno, a guy with a very full head of hair, who looked mid 40s stopped his pickup truck (with a high end triathlete bike in the back) to see if we were ok as we chatted on the side of the road just outside of Alpine. We were considering riding two miles out of our way to stock up on water we knew we would need to make it to Pine Valley. Bruno insisted we just ride 50 yards ahead in the direction we were going to the end of his street and he’d speed home and come back with water. He comes back with a huge jug of water AND electrolytes replacement powder!  We dubbed him Bruno our water angel. As a separate observation why is it men with full heads of hair look so much younger than those of us who are follicle challenged?  He’s a year older than me.  Well at least some places are starting to give me senior discounts without asking my age. 

Bruno our water angel

Second was Cody whose doorbell Heather rang to ask for water. Funny thing was I came up a hill and saw her bike against a fence. And no sight of her. I figured she could be going to bathroom in woods, probably not abducted. Next thing she comes out of a house set far back from the road and invites me into Cody’s home where we fill up with cold water. 

Lastly was Pauline at the Deli and Pizza kitchen where we ate. She couldn’t be kinder and served me a chocolate chip cookie pie slice which is one of my loves and weaknesses and was in their display counter but wasn’t for sale as it was their personal food the employees share. I offered to pay and she would not hear of it. It’s the little joys of life that make the difference and I taught our kids when they were young that dessert is part of a well balanced meal. Back then the lesson was literally and now hopefully as a metaphor for life. 

Dessert is part of a well balanced meal. Thanks Pauline.

See below for our daily Strava mileage and vertical climb:

Strava summary

Strava vertical climb

© Copyright Mark Segal 2021.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Season 3 Episode 1 (9/18-9/19): May These Gates Never Be Closed!

Season 3 Episode 20 End of Adventure Reflections. And Green Bananas!