Season 4 Episode 5. We are definitely on the right path!

Season 4 Episode 5. We are definitely on the right path!

7/25/24 North Bend to Cle Elum, WA 61 miles. 2418’ climb. 

After our goodbyes with our wonderful hosts Shelley and Craig, we resumed riding the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. It was immediately scenic, passing over bridges of creeks. 

Then coming around a bend, all I could see at first was a loose German Shepherd across my path. Uh-oh, I got very nervous.

But I immediately made 3 new friends hoping it’s an indication of a dog-friendly trip. In the first photo above, the dogs’ owner is just about 10 feet off to the side, but my eye didn’t see her. It only saw the fearful part. Funny how our perception and brain works.

Riding trail bridges over creeks.


Riding high above I90 in the distance.


Trailside dining with Heather still working the chips, but now added an apple.

A major highlight of riding this old rail trail is riding through the 2.3 miles Snoqualmie Tunnel built for trains  in the early 1910’s and abandoned in 1980.

We have powerful front lights.

We stopped to turn off our lights and could see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. An expression I like is that I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train.

Lights back on, I was riding along in the cool and damp air. The surface was smooth, moist earth. Periodically we felt dripping on us from above. So naturally I started thinking of how many years before the drip grows to a trickle to more and water’s erosive force collapses this tunnel. 

By force of habit, I moved towards the right instead of staying in the center, and that’s when my tires caught a rut. In the immortal words of Howard Cossell, I experienced my “Down goes Frazier” moment. I fell against the wall and to the ground. Heather just heard me scream and wondered what the hell? Shaken up, once I quickly realized what happened and that I hadn’t broken any bones, I was more concerned for my bike, especially that my front tire hadn’t been bent. Lucky that I was ok, and so was my bike. 

We emerged from the tunnel and I was lucky to just have a very dirty right arm and shoulder, and discovered later a scraped up shoulder at point of impact. I dodged a bullet!


We were cruising along enjoying magnificent scenery when we had what I know will be a trip defining moment. We met Stu and his friend Jeff. 

Stu riding his adapted mountain bike. He is paralyzed from the chest down from a mountain biking accident 10 years ago at age 23.

We hung out talking for a while learning about Stu and sharing why we ride for the Reeve Foundation. He told us that the Reeve Foundation has given a grant to his organization, Rainier Adaptive Sports which enabled him to be out there on the trail. This was a powerful moment to see how our fundraising positively impacts lives. The foundation’s motto is “Today’s Care. Tomorrow’s Cure”. On the back of our shirts, is printed that we are riding to fund a cure for spinal cord injuries. The care part is equally, if not more important. 

Stu said things that made me feel he had truly accepted his injury and condition. In our brief time together, I felt a comfort to ask a question I hadn’t asked others. I asked him if he had accepted his paralysis and how soon after his accident? He shared how he believes it’s different for everybody, but for him it was a few years. He said you have to. 

Positivity in the face of adversity!  Here it was once again. We were inspired by Stu and I told him so. 

We were so grateful to meet Stu. I know I rode faster and stronger for our remaining miles to Cle Elum. And I knew that we were definitely on the right path!

At our hotel, our bikes were covered in dust and dirt from being on a trail all day, we luckily could hose them down.

I hosed down my jacket and cleaned up my shoulder.

I was so motivated and fueled by our meeting with Stu, I stayed up until 1 AM using the hotel computer to map out all the options and routes for the next 2 weeks.  

I was also fueled by being alone with the hotel’s fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! Ate 6 that night, and packed 4 for Heather and me for the next day’s ride. 

Please honor our friends Lenny and Ernie, our new friend Stu, and anyone you know affected by paralysis by donating to the Reeve Foundation at Heather & Mark Ride for Reeve!


Thank you. 

Heather and Mark 


Copyright Mark Segal 2024.

Comments

  1. I just binged all 5 episodes - so much more exciting and captivating than anything I binge watch on TV! You 2 are just unbelievable. Hope your shoulder is ok, Mark! Looking forward to riding along with you from my couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry !! Friendly dogs and Stu were definitely a good omen πŸ™πŸΌglad your spill wasn’t worse Mark !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great moment to meet Stu. Enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an episode- so inspiring. So glad you are ok, Marc. Aren’t you supposed to be watching your sugar intake???

    ReplyDelete
  5. ❤️❤️❤️XOXO M

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great moment of confirmation meeting Stu, an amazing man who helped you to see the value of your efforts. A good day. Hope the shoulder feels better soon and you have no lingering effects. (I rode with a sprained wrist for a few weeks after a run-in with a bollard that sprang out of nowhere during the east coast ride. I did learn a lesson, though, And Gene still yells out, "Bollard" when there's one on the trail, just to be "helpful".πŸ˜‚ Barb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Welcome Back for Season 4! The Northern Tier.