Season 2 Episode 25 (10/19): Sticky, Gooey and Chewy. New Smyrna Beach to Cocoa Beach

Season 2 Episode 25 (10/19): Sticky, Gooey and Chewy. New Smyrna Beach to Cocoa Beach – 

66 miles and flat.

We headed inland (west) and then south enjoying the East Central Regional Rail Trail.

 It was another of these great bike paths, paved, quiet surrounded by trees without car noise, and we could ride beside each other for about 20 miles.

However, we came to a problem section.

Coming up to flooded section of the path from Hurricane Ian.

If it were a very short section, I’d ride through as I did in Charleston. In that case, I could pedal before entering the water and then coast through it with my feet at “3 and 9 o’clock” positions, so not getting them wet.

On this longer section, I wasn’t sure how deep it went, so I peeled off my shoes and socks and walked through, happy to see the water never rose to the level of my chain. If it was at the chain level, I’d have thought to carry my bike. All good so far.

As I waited for Heather to come across the first flooded area, I stood next to the flooded creek and realized I was standing barefoot in central Florida in a swamp and there could easily be alligators nearby.

I yelled that to Heather as she was walking. Her reaction should not have surprised me…she wasn’t at all worried and could not even consider that a possibility. She is missing the “worry gene”. I started to become tense contemplating this alligator possibility. After making it across two long walking sections, we got back to pedaling. I felt justified in my concerns when a few days later we learned people were finding alligators in unusual places after the hurricane.

The terrain remained basically flat. After about 25 to 30 miles, at about 15 miles an hour for a stretch (which is above our average of 12 mph), Heather asked me if I think we are even exercising? How do I keep up with somebody like that?

Lunch in Titusvillle at Sunrise Bread Co., an incredible bakery and cafe. I told them they should franchise or expand to NY - every town should have this place. Zucchini muffin was excellent.

And how could I resist the banana pudding? It rivaled Magnolia Bakery’s of NYC! With possibly a better ratio of pudding cream to baked cake.

They had fun decor, even clever entertainment on a bathroom wall!

From lunch in Titusville through the remaining ride south, we enjoyed our best tailwind yet. And then turning left (east) at Cocoa to head over Merritt Island and towards Cocoa Beach, that friendly wind became another challenging crosswind as we crossed the Hubert Humphrey Causeway. Every time a car or truck passed on my left, I momentarily was shielded from the wind and got a break. But then the second it passed, I’d feel a sucking, vacuum-like pressure tugging me left towards the road. This would keep repeating making it challenging to ride straight. Another harrowing bridge experience for one of us.

The wind made it one of the most popular kite surfing sites.

We went for dinner to The Fish Camp Grill. Amazingly tasty and tangy meals and a pair of fun, lively young keyboard players who would improvise off classic songs. Heather had them play Both Sides Now and I enjoyed the CODA (as opposed to Kodak) moment.

Kendra our waitress was spot on, batting 1000 with the entree recommendations so when she asked if we’d want dessert I asked (Heather would say interviewed her) if the “three generation recipe” pecan pie was sticky, gooey and chewy? When she said yes, I "had no choice" and had to order it. Well, it was all 3 and they hit it out of the park. Amazing like Angie’s pecan pie back in Texas in season one. Heather ordered Key Lime Pie (“practicing” for Key West) and clearly loved it since she downed forkful after forkful and only shared one last little bit with me. (With her nut allergy, the pecan pie was non-shareable.) I slept very content after that pecan pie!


© Copyright Mark Segal 2022

Comments

  1. ENJOY the rest of the journey!! Ride Safe! Hold on tight for the upcoming bridges! XOXO M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this mental image of you interrogating your waitress Kendra. Heather is saint!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo à nos deux héros !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this ride and your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Season 3 Episode 1 (9/18-9/19): May These Gates Never Be Closed!

Season 3 Episode 20 End of Adventure Reflections. And Green Bananas!