Season 2 Episode 7 (9/14 and 9/15): The Power of Love. Newburyport, MA to Needham, MA

Season 2 Episode 7 (9/14 and 9/15): The Power of Love. Newburyport, MA to Needham, MA – 

76 miles. 2,346’ climbing.

If we took the most direct route to Needham, it would be 54 miles; but since the weather Gods provided optimal riding conditions, we chose a longer route adding some North Shore towns. We were amply rewarded with costal beauty.

Gloucester was out of the way, but since finding out CODA (my recent film obsession) was shot here, I had to see it!

Stage Fort Park at entrance to Gloucester

Solomon Jacobs Park, Gloucester

Reed Park lunch stop, Manchester-by-the-Sea

After more beautiful cycling through Beverly, Salem (of witch trial fame) and Swampscott, we were treated to 11 miles of paved private bike trail from Lynn to Everett.

And then the beauty faded as the grit, noise and fear of vehicles took over in entering Boston. For the most part, there were clear bike lanes on the roads. However when trucks parked in the bike lane to make a local delivery, it forced me to either go around into the traffic or to wedge between the parked truck and parked cars. The latter being an exercise like threading a needle by bike. I feel it’s kind of like a fun slalom course. And just like a slalom skier hits the gates, I did hit one truck. Sort of bounced off it a few times hitting the side of my handlebar extenders against it. I added these extenders about a week before departing. They’ve been great for giving me alternate hand positions, and thus far I’ve been spared the ulnar pain I encountered last year, but I guess they add a half-inch on either side that I’m still figuring out.

My phone holder which is in my handlebar stem and an important part of my cockpit instrument panel, broke off just as we were on Memorial Drive. At least my phone didn’t break hitting the ground.

Enjoying a reprieve from the congested streets: cycling through Cambridge along the Charles River bike path.

And then it was back to the streets, past the buzzing energy of Boston University and beauty of Boston College. On we went to the western suburb of Needham and the ultimate Hot Showers (correct, not Warm Showers): my big sister Marla and brother-in-law Scott. Marla was sitting outside to record our arrival, and for the next 36 hours, her full maternal streak was in force as she catered to our every whim. We enjoyed our first full day of rest. She even made sure to charge the massage gun, but we didn’t use it.

Thrilled to be with family & rest!

Best of all, her adult children (our nephew and nieces plus spouse and fiancé) came to dinner and we enjoyed a holiday like, festive atmosphere. Funny thing was Marla even checked to make sure I was moaning when eating to ensure her cooking was to my satisfaction. I did and it was!

There was so much family love, just like the restorative power the “loved ones” visit provides to contestants on the TV show Survivor, it pumped us up big time. There was one problem: we didn’t want to leave!

Family love!

© Copyright Mark Segal 2022

Comments

  1. Wish I was there to greet you and enjoy with the family. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. turn around and come back!! Always the Best being together!! XOXO M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we were there too! Love that Marla is wearing the duster. Mom is looking over the two of you on your journey and so proud of you. xoxoxo Sus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Season 3 Episode 1 (9/18-9/19): May These Gates Never Be Closed!

Season 3 Episode 20 End of Adventure Reflections. And Green Bananas!