DAY 26 & 27: 10/15 Fredericksburg, TX to Austin, TX & 10/16 Rest Day in Austin

 DAY 26 & 27: 10/15 Fredericksburg, TX 80 miles to Austin, TX and 10/16 rest day in Austin – 

Leaving Fredericksburg, we cycled past a number of vineyards and signs for peaches and related items like peach cobbler and peach ice cream. I must say I was tempted to have some, but was still full from breakfast less than an hour ago. I guess I do have some dessert limits. We did manage a photo op that was a must since I’ve called Heather Peach or Peachy ever since our first date back in January 1991 when I thought her perfume smelled like peaches. 

Just riding with my Peach

The vineyard we passed was another sign to me from above that I’m on the right path as her old friends and I also call her by the shortened Heath. 

Heather-branded wine

A nice side route took us through the LBJ State Historical Park. It was pretty cool to cycle next to the LBJ Ranch. On a car road trip, I’d have taken the tour. 

Texas-sized ranch

We passed through Johnson City which is hardly a city. Although it’s where LBJ is from, it’s not named after him but rather one of his ancestors. 

I spent an unusual amount of time watching this one goat with its head stuck through the fence and wondering what will happen when all the other goats leave and he cannot? Does the goat farmer come manually extract him? Does he spend the night? 

A goat that intrigued me 

As opposed to THE G.O.A.T.

I soon came to enjoy a steep downhill. At the same time, I was also dreading the uphill I imagined must follow. As I planned to go full speed down to try and use momentum up, I came around the last curve down and found Heather stopped at the edge of a creek that washed over the road ahead of us. There was a small car stopped as well with the driver pondering what to do with this impasse. 

Heather assessing

The gauge showed only about 5” of water which was not of concern to me but of major concern to Heather. (This differing of perspectives was something only discovered afterwards.) The issue to me was that the water was flowing from right to left. I was picturing myself having to explain to our kids how I got washed over the side of the creek trying to cross it. 

Heather decided to go barefoot and walk across

From observing her walk, the current seemed negligible. From my experience of riding through 6” of water back home in Mamaroneck, after storm Ida rocked the area, I felt confident that I could make it through riding. The key was to pedal slowly and let the water pass below my pedals and not splash my feet wet, and to be prepared to unclip from my feet quickly if needed. I decided to go for it and happily made it through with even some momentum to help launch me into the waiting climb. Mission accomplished. It is only days later as I write about this that I thought of a risk that had I thought of it back then, I’d have walked it also. I had not considered what debris, twigs, branches etc. could be lying under the water. Ignorance is bliss. 

(Author’s note: today, more than a week later, we met fellow Southern Tier rider Roger who we learned sure enough did actually fall in this very creek while trying to cross riding. In his case, it was 9” of water and his paniers got soaked after he fell in.)

The up portion out of the water was a serious challenge. Here and in a few more places we faced an 11% slope climb. It was “only” 86 degrees, yet I felt my sweat mustache growing into a full sweat beard. My arms were glistening with perspiration. It was as if my sweat was sweating. 

These climbs in hill country became so tiring to me legs, I could no longer pedal with strength from my thighs on the downstroke of a pedaling arc. The only power I generated was from my calves as I pulled the pedals down with them and whipped the pedals back around into the next stroke. This left me in awe of any of the riders going cross country without clip in cycling shoes who can only generate power on the down stroke. (Shoutout to Augusta K and Josh C) 

We soon passed our first sighting of a Texas Longhorn. 

Texas longhorn

As we arrived in Austin, we stopped at the TREK store to check our bikes and get tuneups. Heather’s gears had been clunky and she ended up needing a new chain. 

The last few miles to our warm showers hosts included a beautiful ride on the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail. This path ran along the River. 

Heather on River Walkway

Austin skyline by the river

We arrived at our hosts Amy and Adam in the final minutes of daylight and were welcomed by clapping and cheering as they and a few neighbors were hanging out together in their yard. We were so lucky to meet this couple who don’t just talk the talk, but walk the walk as well relating to building community and being environmentally friendly. I hope we retain and adopt some of what we saw them practice.


Signs at ours hosts' home

Their inviting and welcoming bench

After a delicious home cooked meal, we slept well in our bunk bed. 

Bunk bed

Our rest day from riding began with an amazing local breakfast of Migas at Cenote in their East Cesar Chavez neighborhood.  

Migas at Cenote

We toured the state Capitol building which is beautiful and impressive. 

Views looking up

We wanted to check out the nearby UT campus and knew there was a big football game today with Oklahoma State in town. Exiting the Capitol, we followed the noise through a trail of tailgate parties to the stadium. 

It was half time when many of the partier rather than heartier fans were leaving. Heather approached a gate agent and shared our bike touring story and asked if we could just look in for 15 minutes. The agent said no. Duh. She directed us to the box office to buy tickets. We went, but it was closed. So since any good sales person knows the sale only begins with the first no, we went to another stadium entrance and Heather again laid out her shpiel. Well, there’s a reason Heather has coached business executives in communications! The queen of communications sweet talked us into the stadium where we quickly got into the longhorn spirit. 

Blue and pink in a sea of burnt orange

Heather and the band

5 college bros and one dad-bod!

© Copyright Mark Segal 2021

Comments

  1. You two are absolutely crushing it! I am loving reading along with your journey and can’t wait to get back out there myself! I’ll be in Utah tomorrow and will hopefully meet up with Josh C sometime soon! Thanks for the shoutout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Football game and fun fan experience is good practice for your upcoming Michigan game...I can see you fitting in well there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Back for Season 3 – Canada to Mexico!

Season 3 Episode 1 (9/18-9/19): May These Gates Never Be Closed!

Season 3 Episode 20 End of Adventure Reflections. And Green Bananas!